My 2011 Goals: Vitamins, Value, and TunnelVision
Continuing my series of posts about my personal goals: Dec 29, 2010: Forget Success Being a Journey – Get Me to the Destination Already! Dec 31, 2010: 2010 – The ...
Continuing my series of posts about my personal goals:
- Dec 29, 2010: Forget Success Being a Journey – Get Me to the Destination Already!
- Dec 31, 2010: 2010 – The Greatest Year Ever. What I Did This Year
- Jan 3, 2011: The Top 10 Reasons Why New Years Resolutions Fail (Hint: It’s Not Because You Suck)
- Jan 4, 2011: What’s the Point of Having a Theme for your 2011 Goals?
Funny – that was all in the span of a week! I guess I was on a “GOAL SETTING” kick! Ha ha.
(Usually my bad puns are intentional… sorry about that one.)
Here are my 2011 goals.
One thing is worth noting.
I learned this about myself in 2010. It was good to set the big goals – the targets.
But without focusing on what action(s) needed to happen, day-in/day-out, I often lost momentum, and would go days, weeks, or even months without working toward a particular goal.
So this year, I’m setting my targets for the year… but then, I don’t plan to look at those targets every day.
Instead, I’ll focus on the INPUTS. The 6 things I need to do EVERY DAY.
If I maintain that schedule diligently, the targets will find me.
Vitamins – Things I do daily, that provide huge value over time:
- 30 minutes reading 12 pages of the Bible
- 60 minutes on 1 video blog post (or 2 text blog posts)
- 60 minutes working on one info-product
- 30 minutes on a thank you cards and daily gratitude photos
- 60 minutes working on a value project for someone else (I have a short list of folks already, and will add to that list as my schedule allows)
Value – Finite projects that I do non-concurrently, which add REAL VALUE to others:
- Publishing a series of kids books
- Supporting an Internet Marketing partner and mentor with Video Marketing
- Developing sketches that inform, entertain, and educate (like ThisIsIndexed.com)
- Supporting a couple of entrepreneurs in the kids books / kids cartoons space, with social media, lead generation, and branding skills
- Building the Zobo brand
TUNNELVISION – I will obsessively say YES to these accomplishments… and NO to all others. :
(These are all phrased in past tense – as if it’s January 1, 2012 and I’ve accomplished them all:)
- Spiritual Development:
I have read the entire Bible
- Business & Career:
- I have written at least 50 kids stories, and published at least 10 illustrated kids books
- Thanks to my writings, I have met Seth Godin, Bill Cosby, Bob Burg, Brian Tracy, Marcus Buckingham, Greg Reid, Nick Vujicic, Pixar, and Disney
- I have taken a course on movie-making at Full Sail University
- I have created a successful comic series for Zobo
- I have created 3 podcast series, each with at least 500 subscribers
- Knowledge & Skill:
- I have read 15 books by the end of the year
- I am an expert Video Marketing storyteller, using Sony Vegas and Windows Movie Maker
- I am an expert at creating explanatory sketches and graphics
- I am an expert at writing kids’ books
- I am an expert at creating information products quickly
- I am an expert at launching information products (using JV partners, affiliates, email lists, etc.)
- Health & Fitness:
– I have undertaken one big physical adventure for the year (Mountain climbing? Surfing? Half marathon? Swimming?)
- I have played soccer 1x/week (at least 40 times in the year)
- Family & Relationship:
- I have gone on at least 2 dates/month with my wife
- I have created one new tradition with my boys (I’m thinking a trip somewhere.)
- Financial Independence:
- I have monetized my valuable personal development information products.
- People have been very happy to pay me what I am worth, allowing me to earn more than ever before.
- I have consistently provided people at least 10 TIMES the value of what they have compensated me monetarily.
- I have easily replaced my corporate salary
Again, the TUNNELVISION items are what might go onto a typical goal list.
I’ll look at these, perhaps quarterly.
But I’m going to be focused on my daily routine (the Vitamins)…
and weave in the Value projects that I’m doing to explicitly help a select few other people.
I think that focus will help me quantum leap past my 2010 achievements.
So here goes…